Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sweatin' with the oldies

After 7 years on my own (5 of which I have spent married), I am once again under my parents' roof. Interestingly I have waited until I myself became a parent, to embark on this venture. The dynamic is interesting with many positive and negative aspects of our co-habitation. To leave this blog with a positive note, I will start with those very few negatives present in our living arrangements, then venture to list but a few of those positive experiences back here in the Clawson nest.

Negatives

1. Bedtime has once again become a dictation of my sweet mother, who, like most mothers thinks that if she is tired I MUST be tired also. Late night fun with my siblings (when they come to visit) is still a NO.

2. From the time she walks in the door at night to the time SHE goes to bed, I am constantly asked, "Is all your homework finished," which in graduate school the answer is always inevitably NO.

3. When I hear the doors close from my parents' car in the driveway, I still instictually immediately turn of the TV in their bedroom, straighten the sheets and run downstairs to open a textbook. Luckily, with the tube as a nightly ritual of my Dad, the threat of "canceling that satellite" is not included.

4. Mom still knows best.... even when I'm the Mom. Constantly being bombarded with, "Forget the schedule, just feed her," Suede has a constant ally against the sanity I'm trying to create in our hectic lives. note: this is also included in the positives. See below.

Positives

1. I never have to worry about missing my alarm, and my breakfast and lunch are always waiting when I'm ready to walk out the door. I catch the envying eye of my schoolmates everyday when I pull that lunch out to microwave it in that student lounge.

2. Groceries, what groceries? With my Mom's Costco membership the cupboards are always overflowing with "food for the kids." What kids she is referring to I still haven't figured out, but the overabundance of food is welcome in my book.


3. Mom always knows best... oh the doctor's bills we have prevented. Having my first baby brings a million questions and over reactions. I have her vast knowledge to counteract my over-protectiveness.

4. She is always willing to take some "MeMa" time with Suede and give Craig and I a chance to get out and still act young.

The lists of positives goes on and on... but Craig tells me blogs aren't supposed to be books, and that I should start on my homework....Good thing I have so many people ensuring I have good study habits.

We'll try to keep this updated as all of you know, we aren't the best at keeping you all connected on what's going on in this Sowby (Clawson actually) household.

FYI started my graduate program in Microbiology at VCU and loving it! Craig's being Mr. Mom and Suede is loving that!

7 comments:

Shad Novasio said...

There is no one like Mom...there is no one like Mom....there is no one like Mom......that goes for YOU, too young lady! When she nags, give her a hug!
We miss you so! We talk about you constantly, wish for you longingly, and smile for you incessantly!
Thanks for the note! Keep in touch and DARN IT...send pictures!
And yes....feed Suede...she's WAY too skinny!
Love and kisses from Investools!

Unknown said...

Kids are like bad pennies. They keep turning up ...:) But we still love to keep them around. Mom Clawson

Unknown said...

better you than me! please, please, please, let me never have to move in with mom and dad again. i don't think my pride could handle it. but it sure is tempting. my kids have forgotten what a home cooked meal tastes like. but it is your turn. all four of us have done it, most of us more than once, except for you. so swallow that pride and enjoy it. i think the chinese were on to something. except they had it backwards. the daughters should stay and the sons should go live with the in-laws. but that's a whole different argument.

corbin said...

Alice and I have never lived with Mom and Dad. But I think it would be stupendous fun. And I don't ever remember Mom and Dad sending people home when it got late. And Taralyn doesn't know what kids Mom is buying groceries for? Did Mom and Dad get rid of all their mirrors?

Jaron said...

Pretty damn funny. I'm also glad it's not me - although our experience was quite different. Love love love mom & dad, but there's nothing like your own space. Next time I have to wait on a house being built - I'm renting a camper.

Zac said...

Well, when mom and dad move into their farm house, I will be the first in line to move in and stake a claim on it. You can all come and visit and be envious.

Sarah said...

What a beautiful little girl you have! Chris and I definitely think that Suede has your mouth and we miss you guys! I am glad you have a blog so that we can keep up on the new news!