Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Like father like daughter...?!?!?

As Suede grows (for those of you who don't know she is now about 4 1/2 mo. old) I see incredible family resemblance. Not of me surprisingly, but of her Daddy (as my sister loves to point out (EVERYtime she picks her up) that she sees nothing of me in her). What is this anyway? Isn't it supposed to be like mother like daughter? Here's just a few tidbits of my observations:

Of course who could miss those blue eyes! Her Momma got her wish there, but I didn't think that wishing that would lead to all of the other attributes shared with her Daddy. I just hope that when she closes those eyes someone somewhere can see a resemblance of me.

Will she ever be able to sit still? Those of you that know Craig know of the constant movement associated with his being, usually expressed in the form of drumming his fingers and feet. Suede has inherited this incredible amount of energy. Even the way they fall asleep is similar. Craig will drum and drum and drum even into his REM cycle I'm sure. Suede on the other hand without those refined skills of movement, turns and arches and kicks and whatever else, not fusing, just constantly moving until she finally stops moving and I have to go check to make sure she's still breathing for fear of that lack of movement.

Even temperament. I wish that this attribute was linked to me, but as all of you know, I'm not so evenly blessed. She's all smiles unless there is a problem and has the ability to play by herself without entertainment. You all know that this also is an attribute from Daddy as her Mom needs constant stimulation from others.

Music stops EVERYTHING. Don't try to carry on any sort of conversation with Craig if ANY music (or even sounds that could be construed into music) is present. He'll just keep saying OK and nothing will actually reach the brain as it is being overtaken. Suede is all wiggles, EXCEPT when there's music. She'll sit for crazy amounts of time on her Daddy's lap not moving a finger while they sit and listen to a wide range of music. Also like her Dad I think Jazz is one of her favorites.

Focus. You're eating right now. Many times I'll leave the table after a meal with Craig coming back into consciousness asking, "You're already done? I haven't even started" I learned after a while just to remind him that he's supposed to be eating, not dreaming up whatever rhythm is echoing in his brain. Although like her Mom, she doesn't forget about wanting to eat, she quickly forgets what's going on and needs reminding of the task at hand. Once again, if music is on, forget it. Might as well try later.

If all else fails take that girl outside. There's something hypnotic about the outdoors to her. Understandably, if you recall that Craig spent over a year sleeping outside (even during family vacations while everyone else enjoyed the comfort of hotel rooms) ... just because.


Parents always talk way too much about their children, so I'll stop my wandering words and get back to studying.

They say that you live through your children. Maybe this time around I'll be a sweet, happy, adventurous, incredibly smart peacemaker with musclely legs and bright blue eyes.

I hope she at least gets my brown hair.

1 comment:

Zac said...

I don't think she looks like either of you. Rarely can you truely say the baby looks like one of the parents. On the rare occasions that you can, it is usually due to some funny physical feature that the parents probably wish hadn't been passed on to their child, and it is so obvious that you don't need to point it out, until the parents are no longe in ear shot. Suede looks like a baby. Hense, hospitals' insistence on tagging babies and their mothers with identification bracelets?