Thursday, August 21, 2008

Old Dogs and New Tricks

Don't believe people when they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. My first experience going anywhere with Craig proved a lot about both of our personalities. We walked up to his car, he got in and I stood in front of my door waiting. He looked at me oddly at first then reached over (from the inside) and opened the car door. I closed it. He opened it again. I closed it. He then shrugged and started to back out. I smiled. He stopped the car, got out and opened my door and we had a lovely afternoon. Needless to say I didn't marry a hopelessly romantic fellow. We spent our honeymoon camping across America (other than the wedding night hotel provided by my parents). Practice has definitely paid off and yesterday I was provided with a WONDERFUL birthday. I awoke to, well, a crying baby, then I was presented with a menu selection.

I chose my breakfast of waffles, got ready, and we went to my favorite store, Barnes and Noble, where I picked up A Left-Hand Turn Around The World to read about all of the left hand places I need to visit, The Female Brain to help me in my quest to help Craig understand how I think (and to understand myself), and My Cousin Rachel by my favorite author Daphne du Maurier. As you can see from the itinerary I was only supposed to pick 2, but I convinced him to let me get 3 since 2 were on sale. We had a wonderfully tasty lunch at Maggiano's and returned home to eat some delicious chocolate cake (made from scratch by my sister-in-law Gina). This cake is labeled WAGONFOOD (as you can see in the video) so I can safely eat it on my diet and still stay "on the wagon".

I then was ushered into the car not knowing where we were going. We arrived at The Whistle Stop Bed and Breakfast in Louisa, Va. and had a relaxing time reading on the porch, putting coins on the train track to get squashed, eating a fruit tart and drinking sparkling apple cider (provided by my sister-in-law and mom), watching a movie, and "going to bed early". It was an awesome birthday thought up entirely by my wonderful husband, who when I first met him was unwilling to make an effort to even open my door. Thus, Old Dog, new trick.
P.S. I have since learned how to operate a car on my own (comment added by Craig as he was proofreading my writing. He has to feel manly somehow I guess. Just know he still does open my door.)

11 comments:

Sasha said...

Well I suck, because I knew your birthday was coming up and I didn't even wish you a happy birthday...so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

You had the best birthday ever! I don't think Patric would EVER think up something like that!

And I MUST read that left handed book after you...Right Handers just don't understand.

Tiffany said...

What an AWESOME birthday! Way to go Craig. Can you teach some of those "tricks" to your brother????? Sounds like a fabulous day. Happy Birthday! We love you.

Sarah said...

Sounds like an awesome day! Way to go Craig and Happy Belated Birthday Taralyn!

Michele said...

First of all, happy birthday! Second, thanks for looking in on us!! Suede is sooooo big now! She will be Holly's age before you know it!! Sounds like you are all doing well. Take care.

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday to you! And major props to Craig for such an amazing birthday! What a man!

Shelley said...

What a great birthday! Happy Birthday! Good job for teaching Craig how to be a man! Your story of the car door brought back sooooooo many memories! At least there is someone in the world willing to take on the challenge of making him into a gentleman! Way to Go!!!

modestmuse said...

How cute! I take my romantic for granted. But I've never had breakfast cooked to order (or cooked at all, for that matter!). Happy birthday and thanks for including me in your celebrations!

Mallory Miller said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (late) that is an awesome day! I wish I could have been there. When do you start school again? and when is it your coming out here? Love ya!

Jamie said...

oh I missed your Birthday! ok, well then:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :P
I'm am so jealous that I'm going to make Joe read your post as soon as I get home!

Gina said...

Happy brithday! So, can you teach my husband new tricks too? I will pay. :) That menu is so cute!

heidi said...

wow!!! that sounds fabulous. funny, it doesn't take too much out-of-the-ordinary to make us happy. hope it was as wonderful as it sounded! i love the car thing.