Sunday, August 3, 2008

Beaches and Butterflies

We've done a few fun things thus far this Summer. All in all I realize that as soon as you have kids things are changed from, "This will be fun for me." to... "This will be fun for the kids!" The only way they coincide is if you happen to live through their enjoyment (that was said with a smile on my face if you were wondering). A trip to Virginia Beach with my mom and 7 kids (4 of my sister's and 2 of my brother's and Suede) proved my patience has not grown to the heights I had previously thought. It was a fun trip though and I really did like seeing them have so much fun.



Her first visit to the ocean was a big success and I had a hard time convincing her that she wanted to be playing in the sand by the blanket so I could read my book. The water was just to tempting to her and she would run for it at every chance. I did prevail for about 3 pages though.



With DC so close we feel the need to start her experience of the Nation's Capitol early. Last week we rode the metro and visited the Natural History Museum.


Before going to the museum we visited the Old Post Office for lunch and went up to the tower. They have these huge bells and every Thursday evening. the bell ringers come to practice and you can hear it out on 12th street. They do some crazy patterns that don't repeat themselves and have something like 5000 sequences or something (without music). At the tourist shop I saw something you will only find in our wonderful Nation's Capitol. Check out these pre-printed license plates. Not John or Mary but...

and

and


At the Natural History Museum I decided to get her started on her anatomy early. And starting with the skull is always easiest.



It was about 2 hours after nap time while she decided to have a melt down in front of hundreds of tourists, that I vowed never to take her in public again. Luckily that all melted away and I found the trip completely worth it when we visited the butterfly house. It was filled with hundreds of butterflies with the most amazing colors. You first enter a little room so they can ensure that none will escape and as you walk in the door a fan blows down on you to try to keep them contained. After you leave you have to enter another room and get checked to make sure none of the butterflies were hitch-hiking their way to freedom. Although, who would want to leave that paradise of flowers and fruit. It was amazing having them land and sit on me. Suede loved them. If you're ever in DC make sure to go to the Natural History museum on a Tuesday b/c that's when the butterfly house is free. I would suggest getting your tickets early though. We had to wait about 2.5 hours for our time to come up. Hence the break down. All in all it was a great time and I love visiting my favorite city.




Have you ever had a butterfly on your head? Well I have...

6 comments:

Nancy and Spencer said...

If you decide that you want to venture out into the world with Suede again, we'll meet up with you in DC. We've been wanting to go down there. Just haven't had the time yet. Soon, hopefully. Then i can see you and give you a big overly excited hug! :)

Tiffany said...

How very, very fun! We'll come visit you one day. My criteria for traveling is... when all my kids can tie their own shoes and wipe their own bums! Maybe a while yet!

modestmuse said...

Beautiful pics, Suede is such a cutie. Did you ever think of naming here Shameeka? And HELLO! I only live 10 min. from there and I work nights, I totally could have met up with you! We definitely need to come down and visit you guys.

Lacey said...

I love the Cheetah print swim suit and I can't believe that she didn't want to read instead of float in the ocean. What a silly kid! Good to know what I have to gear up for.

Becca Welch said...

Hey Guys,
Man, I miss you both.. and little suede is getting so big. When are you coming out? I want to hang out. Taralyn, I love working as a nurse...and still hoping to have a doctor by my side... it is a dream come true. anyways. love you both---Becca

leslie said...

wow, you've given me a couple things to go check out only minutes from my house... thanks! also, i'd love to join the birthday tea, let me know!

love leslie