Friday, July 11, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Craig and my anniversary is on July 5th, so this year (6th anniversary) we decided to abandon my family and the tradition of spending the 4th on the Mall in DC for what I thought would be a spectacular show in Philadelphia. We also managed to leave Suede as well :) I do have to say our hotel was great and I found this Italian restaurant with a pasta dish that was so tasty I had to get it again the second night. We walked down Ben Franklin Parkway with all of the booths fit for a fair and finally reach the stage at the end for the show. It began to rain and after hearing the "Jersey Click Girls" perform we decided that no fireworks were worth that wait. (I tried to do a google search for these famous click girls and found NOTHIN- just picture 3 wanna be Hannah Montanas with microphone stands and mic covers adorned with sparkly sequins). We ended up leaving the show to go back to our hotel room and watch the show in DC on TV instead of live. I think we were actually asleep before the Philly fireworks even began. But let me say again. It was a nice hotel and I quite enjoyed it. The next day....our anniversary... we decided to see the historic sites. We stood in line for tickets to Independence Hall and then.... we went back to the hotel for a bit of a snooze. Craig got a migraine and ended up staying in that wonderful hotel to sleep while I ventured out on my own to walk back down to tour Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. (Those of you that know my sense of direction and incredible anxiety for being lost should be quite impressed with this feat) After a few hours of rest, he seemed up to going to the festival down at the water. It was going to be spectacular. There were food vendors from all of the great restaurants in the city and Boys II Men were going to perform. If you have forgotten this jewel of a band from the 90s here's one of their hits for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZcG0NBMcDA


(Sorry they blocked being able to put the video on blogs. You'll have to go to the link)

Well, we sat on the steps waiting for the show to start for an hour past starting time until Craig finally decided it wasn't worth waiting for (I had my doubts before we even entered the gated cement park with shoulder to shoulder people). Thus, we were to leave, but not without Craig's blessed funnel cake. We stood in line for another hour to get the powdered sugar coated fried pancake batter that cost $5. All that matters is that it was worth it to him I suppose.

Trying to exit this wonderful facility was another matter. There were 3 entrances with people charging through and the staff WAS NOT letting anyone out. We stood amidst an angry crowd that was getting more and more agitated as the minutes passed with cops that merely opened up another entrance instead of letting anyone out. Finally after about 45 min. we were permitted to leave (as I think they realized no one else could even fit inside). I think what finally opened their eyes was the woman who passed out and was being carried by her distraught husband trying to find the ambulance. I watched a policeman stare at this man in great need of help without even acknowledging his existence. I WAS DISTRAUGHT and proceeded to yell at the cop (much to Craig's embarrassment).

It all ended well though because I got that incredible pasta dish to go and we once again missed the fireworks and relaxed in the hotel room and watched the first stage of the Tour de France (another one of my loves).

All in all, it was a great anniversary, but next time I think I'll stick with the best and spend my Independence Day in DC as always. Here's a taste of what we missed.



At this point I would like to turn to the wisdom of Tevye.



TRADITION!!!

4 comments:

modestmuse said...

Six years, congrats! Sounds like an overall nice way to celebrate, except for the migraine and the crowded park. But pasta and funnel cakes def make up for it! I will never leave the DC area for the 4th again, either! From your countdown I think you're doing the hike now -- what are you doing next weekend? We do need to come visit.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like quite the experience! But at least it was a break from parenting...

Scott and Jillian said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better our anniversary on June 21st wasn't the best either. Oh, well. At least we've been married 6 six years. That's an accomplishment, right?!

leslie said...

6 yrs? wowowo!
ok i need to give you my really quick update. i dislocated my shoulder while i was in nicaragua in may, but this was like the 12th time i have dislocated it. it was really bad this time, worse than ever so i went to the doctor when i got back and in the end i got surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago.
that is why i am one-handed... physical therapy will continue for another 6 weeks or so and i'm hoping to regain most of the use by then... its been crazy, i cant really use it at all.
guess i'm lucky i don't have a little suede to try to take care of in the midst of this...